American Leak Detection offers tips for leaks caused by earthquakes
Palm Springs, CA – You never know when it might happen and you probably will need to think fast. Earthquakes can cause underground pipes to shift — or structural fractures in pools to occur. Both scenarios bring hidden water as well as gas leaks, and costly repair bills if the condition is left undetected. A water leak the size of a pinhead, or approximately 1/8th inch in diameter, under a standard 60 pounds of pressure will discharge 970 gallons of water every 24 hours. That’s 360,000 gallons a year.
“It’s not only expensive, it may threaten the surrounding environment, and cause serious damage to foundations and footings,” says Jimmy Carter, Sr. Director of Field Services of American Leak Detection. “It’s important to check for leaks after an earthquake, or aftershock.”
As earthquakes occur, the following warning signs about leaks could be helpful for local residents.
Warning Signs of Hidden Pipe Leaks
- A water meter that registers when all water is turned off
- Running toilets and dripping faucets
- Musty odors coming from floors or walls near drains or sewers
- Spongy, soft or discolored walls
- The sound of running water when nothing is turned on
- A cracked or unusually damp foundation or slab
- Warm spots on concrete slab floors, or mildew or excessive moisture under carpets
- Wet or moist areas in the yard, often with very healthy or unusual plant or grass growth
Warning Signs of Hidden Leaks in Pools and Spas
- A loss of 1/8” of water or more in 24 hours might indicate evaporation, but consistent losses of this magnitude should be investigated by a professional
- Algae formation too soon after a chemical treatment
- An automatic filler that is constantly releasing water
- Cracks and gaps in the pool shell or concrete deck, or a settling of the whole pool or spa structure into the ground
- Loose or falling tiles.
“If leaks are left untreated, it could lead to hazardous health to loved ones and hazardous damage to your property,” Carter said. “Therefore, it is critical that homeowners check their homes for water and gas leaks after any type of natural disaster.”
Carter adds, when you smell gas, don’t mess around. American Leak Detection is certified, endorsed, and recommended for all types of gas piping system leak locations and repairs. They also install seismic gas shut- offs as a proactive way to avoid a post-earthquake catastrophe.
According to Carter, American Leak Detection uses the most advanced, electronic leak detection equipment without bashing holes in the walls or digging up the deck and yard. The company performs non-invasive leak detection with proprietary methods and state-of-the-art technology. Its highly-trained specialists have extensive training, methodology and unparalleled continuing education.
About American Leak Detection
Founded in 1974 and headquartered in Palm Springs, California, American Leak Detection is dedicated to resource protection and eco-friendly services. American Leak Detection is the world leader in the accurate, non-destructive detection of all types of leaks including hidden water and sewer leaks. From swimming pool cracks to concealed plumbing systems, the smallest leak is located with the most advanced, sophisticated electronic devices – without bashing holes in walls or digging up the deck or yard. For the last nine years, American Leak Detection has been ranked #1 in Entrepreneur® magazine’s “Maintenance Products and Services” franchise sector. In February 2008, The Wall Street Journal included American Leak Detection on its list of the 25 top high-performing franchises. For more information on American Leak Detection, call 800.755.6697 or visit www.americanleakdetection.com