While investigating a natural gas leak in Troy, Maine, officials there were led to a property's basement where they discovered a carbon monoxide leak, KOKI-TV reports.
According to the news station, workers found that an exhaust pipe in the basement of a property had corroded and was pumping substantial amounts of carbon monoxide into the building.
Troy fire chief Tom Garrett told the station the crew was glad to find the leak before it caused any harm to people. "Fortunately, the gas led us to find the carbon monoxide. If we didn't, it could have been a fatal incident here."
The station says six commercial buildings and 25 people had to be evacuated for crews to repair the leak, and that no carbon monoxide detector was in the building.
Residents in Brooklyn weren't as fortunate with a carbon monoxide leak in their home, NY1 reports. Five people were reportedly sent to the hospital after a leak began because of a boiler malfunction. The station says the home did have a carbon monoxide detector, but that there were no batteries in it at the time of the leak.