According to a report from WSET-TV in Virginia, a high school was recently evacuated after a gas leak was detected inside the building.
A spokesperson for Campbell County Schools relayed that students and faculty at Rustburg High School were ushered out of their building after a gaseous odor was detected on Tuesday, September 20. Crews were immediately called to the scene to investigate the matter and attempted to detect the source of the leak.
The leak was initially detected at close to 11:30 a.m., after a propane smell entered into hallways. In addition to utility crews, the local fire department was contacted regarding the leak as well.
Students and faculty were sent home for the day and all evening activities were canceled. School officials expected the building to reopen on time the following day.
The leak is the latest in a long series of similar events that have plagued schools recently. Already this month, schools in North Carolina, Kansas and Georgia have been evacuated for similar circumstances.