A gas leak at a 16-unit apartment building in Wisconsin Sunday morning hospitalized 11 people with carbon monoxide-related illness.
According to the Post-Crescent, authorities in New London responded to a call at 505 Oakridge Lane, and proceeded to evacuate the building after discovering a gas leak. The town's fire department believes the leak occurred due to a broken exhaust pipe on a hot water heater.
The 11 victims were taken to three different hospitals, including St. Elizabeth Hospital, where two people were treated in a hyperbaric chamber.
"Obviously, when this many people are affected the outcome can be very serious," said New London Family Medical Center emergency room supervisor Dave Rae, as reported by the news source. "I don’t know if there were detectors in this building, and if so whether they were working, but they are relatively cheap and life-saving."
All patients were released by Sunday evening, the report said.
Homeowners should routinely have their water heater, heating system and any other burning equipment serviced by a professional technician, as these appliances are often causes of gas leaks. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, about 170 people die from carbon monoxide exposure each year.