Leaks Found Since 1974
American Leak Detection is dedicated to conserving water, our most precious resource.
Call to request service
- Request Service
To answer your questions or comments, American Leak Detection only collects personal information that you voluntarily provide us with. We do not sell or share this information with any third parties outside of the ALD system.
Sign and Symptoms of Leaks
You may have a plumbing leak if . . .
- You can hear the continuous sound of water (like a toilet running) when nothing is turned on.
- Your water meter reading changes when you aren't using any water. (Mark the indicator on your meter; don't use any water for an hour; then check the meter. If the indicator moved, you may have a leak.)
- Your water bill escalates over a period of weeks or months. (Compare your bills month to month.)
- Your walls or floors have wet, spongy, moist or discolored areas when nothing has been spilled.
- You can smell foul odors coming from floors or walls near drains or sewers.
- Your building foundation cracks, vegetation grows unevenly, or earth shifts for no apparent reason.
- You find warm spots on your floor, particularly on concrete slab floors.
You may have a pool/spa leak if . . .
- You lose 1/8" of water or more in 24 hours. Perform a Bucket Test. Evaporation rates vary per area. Call your local American Leak Detection office for details.
- You find algae forming too soon after a chemical treatment.
- You find loose or falling tiles or pool deck cracks.
(All are signs that the surrounding ground is being compromised by water.)
- Your pool/spa has settled into the ground or cracks and gaps appear in the pool shell or concrete deck.
- You find standing water, mushy spots, or uneven grass growth around the pool/spa area.
- Your automatic filler is continually releasing water.
leak detection tips / resources
- the bucket test
- Is your pool needing constant refilling? You may have a hidden leak in your pool. Try the seven steps to determine if your pool is leak free. Do-it-yourself 24 hour test. Test your pool
- the meter test
- Do you have a high water bill? You may have a hidden plumbing leak. Try the seven steps to determine if your property is leak free. Do-it-yourself 30 minute test. Test your water meter
- pool leak calculator
- Use the calculator to determine the amount of water loss over a period of time. Calculate pool water loss
- frequently asked questions
- How should I choose a leak detection specialist? Get answers
- leak facts
- A 1/8 inch hole in a metal pipe, at 40 psi, leaks 2,500 gallons of water in 24 hours. Facts about leaks
- signs and symptoms
- You may have a plumbing leak if... Leak signs & symptoms
- pool safety tips
- Each year, about 260 children under 5 drown in swimming pools. The preventive measures below are essential to protect your family against drowning. Keep your pool safe
- water conservation
- Saving water is like any other habit. The more you do it, the more natural it becomes. Become water-wise, it's fun to find more ways to conserve. Conserve water
- drink tap water
- Consumers can do their part to conserve precious supplies through small, thoughtful changes in their lifestyles and activities. Learn about tap water