Is Your Pool Safe?
Each year, about 260 children under 5 drown in swimming pools. The preventive measures below are essential to protect your family against drowning.
Under certain conditions, the suction from drains in swimming pools and spas can entrap swimmers underwater.
- Replace old flat drain covers. Never use a pool or spa with a missing or broken drain cover.
- Have a professional regularly inspect your pool or spa for entrapment or entanglement hazards. Ask them to clearly mark the location of the electrical cut-off switch for the pool or spa pump.
- Install a Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS) to automatically shut off a pump if a blockage is detected.
- If someone is trapped against a drain, turn off the pump immediately.
- Pry a hand between the drain and the person’s body to break the seal, instead of trying to pull the person away from the powerful suction.
PREVENTION STEPS THAT COUNT
- Install anti-vortex drain covers.
- A simple retrofit to install anti-entrapment covers will minimize the risk and protect both children and adults from body and hair entrapment in the suction outlets.
- Limit access to the pool with physical barriers.
- Install fences and walls at least 4-feet high completely around the pool.
- Use self-closing gates with the latch positioned high and out of reach of small children.
- If your house forms one side of the barrier for the pool, doors leading from the house to the pool should be protected with alarms that sound when the doors are unexpectedly opened.
- Use a motor-powered safety cover over the water area to prevent access by young children.
- For above-ground pools, steps and ladders to the pool should be removed and secured when the pool is not in use.
- Supervise young children.
- Knowing how to swim does not make a child drown-proof.
- Never use flotation devices as a substitute for supervision.
- Be prepared in case of emergency.
- Seconds count! If a child is missing, always look in the pool first.
- Keep rescue equipment and a phone next to the pool.
- Take a CPR class
Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act
Certified divers are available near you to professionally install your anti-entrapment drain cover.
Contact us to request service now.