Leaks Found Since 1974
American Leak Detection is dedicated to conserving water, our most precious resource.
Call to request service
- Request Service
To answer your questions or comments, American Leak Detection only collects personal information that you voluntarily provide us with. We do not sell or share this information with any third parties outside of the ALD system.
What tests can be performed to detect a leak?
Tests you can perform at home to detect a water leak
If pool owners suspect a pool or plumbing leak, they should run some at-home tests before consulting a professional.
First, pool owners should run a bucket test to detect a leak. If they suspect an underground or hidden plumbing leak, such as in the sewer or slab, they can also conduct the meter test. These are just two of the many ways to measure water loss.
These tests can offer a glimpse into whether the pool is actually leaking, or if splashing and/or evaporation is causing the water loss. Splashing is the most common reason for water loss, but evaporation can lower pool levels by 0.25 to 1 inch each day, depending on the geographic region.
If pool owners run a bucket and meter test and still cannot explain their pool or plumbing's water loss, they should call a leak detection professional to seek advice.
leak detection tips / resources
- the bucket test
- Is your pool needing constant refilling? You may have a hidden leak in your pool. Try the seven steps to determine if your pool is leak free. Do-it-yourself 24 hour test. Test your pool
- the meter test
- Do you have a high water bill? You may have a hidden plumbing leak. Try the seven steps to determine if your property is leak free. Do-it-yourself 30 minute test. Test your water meter
- pool leak calculator
- Use the calculator to determine the amount of water loss over a period of time. Calculate pool water loss
- frequently asked questions
- How should I choose a leak detection specialist? Get answers
- leak facts
- A 1/8 inch hole in a metal pipe, at 40 psi, leaks 2,500 gallons of water in 24 hours. Facts about leaks
- signs and symptoms
- You may have a plumbing leak if... Leak signs & symptoms
- pool safety tips
- Each year, about 260 children under 5 drown in swimming pools. The preventive measures below are essential to protect your family against drowning. Keep your pool safe
- water conservation
- Saving water is like any other habit. The more you do it, the more natural it becomes. Become water-wise, it's fun to find more ways to conserve. Conserve water
- drink tap water
- Consumers can do their part to conserve precious supplies through small, thoughtful changes in their lifestyles and activities. Learn about tap water