Call to request service
- Request Service
Swimming pool, spa and water feature leak detection
American Leak Detection is the world leader in finding swimming pool and spa leaks - we created the industry.
Depending on the region and climate in which you live, it may not be uncommon for your pool's water level to vary day by day. Environmental factors such as humidity and wind can have an effect, causing you to lose up to ¼ inch of water a day, or about 2 inches per week.
Signs you may have a leak:
- Pool has air in the lines
- Equipment loses prime
- You see cracks
- Pool deck is sinking or lifting
- There are soggy spots around the pool
- You add water more than once a week
- Pool loses more than regular evaporation
Test your pool for a leak with the Bucket Test.
Preparing your pool for a professional leak detection
Clean Not Green
In most cases, it is recommended to have the pool vacuumed spotless prior to your detection. Leaks as large as 1" in diameter could be missed until the dirt covering the leak is vacuumed or brushed away. Make sure the water is clean and not green. If it is green, the water may contain molds, fungus, larvae or other contaminants that could make you sick, besides making it almost impossible to test.
Have the following information ready when you call to schedule your professional pool leak detection:
- Is it a pool only or does it include a spa?
- Is the pool equipment above or below ground?
- How many pumps are there?
- Is the pool constructed of fiberglass, gunite, marcite or vinyl?
- How many skimmers are there?
- Does it leak more with the filter on or with it off?
- How much water does it lose in a 24-hour period?
Use the Bucket Test.
leak detection tips / resources
- the bucket test
- Is your pool needing constant refilling? You may have a hidden leak in your pool. Try the seven steps to determine if your pool is leak free. Do-it-yourself 24 hour test. Test your pool
- the meter test
- Do you have a high water bill? You may have a hidden plumbing leak. Try the seven steps to determine if your property is leak free. Do-it-yourself 30 minute test. Test your water meter
- pool leak calculator
- Use the calculator to determine the amount of water loss over a period of time. Calculate pool water loss
- frequently asked questions
- How should I choose a leak detection specialist? Get answers
- leak facts
- A 1/8 inch hole in a metal pipe, at 40 psi, leaks 2,500 gallons of water in 24 hours. Facts about leaks
- signs and symptoms
- You may have a plumbing leak if... Leak signs & symptoms
- pool safety tips
- Each year, about 260 children under 5 drown in swimming pools. The preventive measures below are essential to protect your family against drowning. Keep your pool safe
- water conservation
- Saving water is like any other habit. The more you do it, the more natural it becomes. Become water-wise, it's fun to find more ways to conserve. Conserve water
- drink tap water
- Consumers can do their part to conserve precious supplies through small, thoughtful changes in their lifestyles and activities. Learn about tap water