Leaks Found Since 1974
American Leak Detection is dedicated to conserving water, our most precious resource.
Call to request service
- Request Service
The short video below demonstrates how the meter test can help you determine if you have a leak in your property.
The Complete Meter Test
Below are instructions on how to check your meter to find out how much water is being lost due to a leak. Knowing the volume of loss will help your leak specialist to understand the potential size of the leak. Also, after a leak detection repair is completed, check the meter again to make sure all the leaks have been repaired.
- This test should be conducted for a 30 minute period, during which time no water is being used on the property.
- Find your water meter, which is usually located in front of the house in a covered box near the street.
- Write down the numbers indicated on the meter at the start of this test.
- Return to check the meter reading after 30 minutes have passed.
- If the numbers have not changed, you do not have a leak in your pressurized water system. If the numbers have changed, continue with the following steps.
- Shut off the valves under all toilets in the house, and repeat steps 1-4.
- If the numbers have not changed, you may have a running toilet that should be serviced.
If the numbers have changed, this indicates water consumption even though water was not being used during the test, and you may need a leak detection.
leak detection tips / resources
- the bucket test
- Is your pool needing constant refilling? You may have a hidden leak in your pool. Try the seven steps to determine if your pool is leak free. Do-it-yourself 24 hour test. Test your pool
- the meter test
- Do you have a high water bill? You may have a hidden plumbing leak. Try the seven steps to determine if your property is leak free. Do-it-yourself 30 minute test. Test your water meter
- pool leak calculator
- Use the calculator to determine the amount of water loss over a period of time. Calculate pool water loss
- frequently asked questions
- How should I choose a leak detection specialist? Get answers
- leak facts
- A 1/8 inch hole in a metal pipe, at 40 psi, leaks 2,500 gallons of water in 24 hours. Facts about leaks
- signs and symptoms
- You may have a plumbing leak if... Leak signs & symptoms
- pool safety tips
- Each year, about 260 children under 5 drown in swimming pools. The preventive measures below are essential to protect your family against drowning. Keep your pool safe
- water conservation
- Saving water is like any other habit. The more you do it, the more natural it becomes. Become water-wise, it's fun to find more ways to conserve. Conserve water
- drink tap water
- Consumers can do their part to conserve precious supplies through small, thoughtful changes in their lifestyles and activities. Learn about tap water